Week's activity from Strava

Monday, August 14, 2006

Training Report 10

10 weeks to the Lausanne Marathon.
8 weeks to the Phedippidations World Half Marathon Challenge (at Henley on Thames)
4 weeks to the Robin Hood Nottingham Half Marathon.

Week 1 - 40.
Week 2 - 39
Week 3 - 36
Week 4 - 31
Week 5 - 19
Week 6 - 26
Week 7 - 61 (!!!!) Long run 1. 16 miles.
Week 8 - 24

6 week average 33 miles (must get to 40!)

My weight is now 86.5 kg (down 5.6 kgs in 8 weeks)

So I managed to put in a "big one" in week 7. Wife away; light work schedule; motivated Coffeeman! As I piled on the miles, I was amazed at the real lack of fatigue. A first hilly 16 miler in the middle of the week was followed by a 9 mile recovery run and and a strong tempo run on friday.

On saturday I "raced". Well Lisa raced and I sort of "paced" really. It's the first time Lisa has had a number pinned to her chest in a running event and although they reduced the planned 10k to an 8k run, Lisa completed in less than 48 minutes with her Dad urging her to reel in competitors in front of her throughout the last mile. Really good fun, Lisa, despite the onset of shin splints. And we have an official result! 235th and 236th out of not many more.....

Lisa's a bit better at this at the moment but it may change. Sorry Lisa!

On sunday I also ran 8.5 miles on the roads around my village here, before work realities made me hit the road with "equipment" hitched behind the truck.

So this weeks training was inevitably a lot different, especially as I was working full on every day.

But...

I had a beautiful early morning run in Windsor Great Park around Virginia Water - why aren't there hundreds doing it as it must be an idyllic spot to do your early morning run? Traffic free, green, marked trails, etc. etc

I also had a 7.5 miler in South Derbyshire overlooking the Trent, with the smell of Jersey Cows in my nostrils as other lunatics mountain biked for 24 hours in the next valley. I have to admit three runs in a week felt like rest and I was basking a bit in the available fitness. It seems like it's time to pile on the miles again this week and an 18 miler is planned in a week of 45-50. I must never forget the distance of the marathon and although bowling along at 9 minute mile pace for an hour or an hour and a half is very pleasant, it won't get me from Lausanne to Vevey and back will it? The Nottingham Half gets nearer and although I think my original 1:45 goal is unrealistic (my best Tempo run is at 8:12 pace), I do have to set a goal that predicts a sub 4 hour marathon as a confidence booster.

I am now firmly hooked into an online diary at runningahead.com and see no reason why all runners don't use it. Hopefully the software can cope with the pressure of huge numbers of users as the site will get that. The ability to set out with just a stop watch and then on memory of the route plot the exact mileage on the site whilst it integrates smoothly into a cross-referenced training diary is awesome. So far I've avoided the forums as I see 4-5 names cropping up everywhere, suggesting a small group of accolytes. A broader participation would be nice, but seeing where everyone else runs is fascinating!

No comments: