Week's activity from Strava

Monday, November 19, 2012

Ridgeway BAM 1st day plan Dec 6.

The plan for Day 1 of the Ridgeway BAM is as follows:

Start at 9 am at the western end of the Ridgeway, on the A4 near West Kennett, west of Marlborough.

@monty_white is my "starter" and will launch me on my way, but others are welcome of course.
I am hoping various friends and helpers will provide me with an "aid station" at 3 points on the route, but if not will be carrying provisions with me. Here are the broad details. Please see the earlier blog post for the full route to help anyone joining en route.

There is in fact a fair bit of parking at the start of the Ridgeway, but I will not be hanging around!
I am hoping to reach the first road crossing after a bit less than an hour, at Hackpen Hill. Again there is a large car park as the path heads towards the Barbury Castle hill fort.

DAY 1 Aid Station 1. 7 km. arrive. c 10.00, depart 10.15. 

Will need: charge drink bottle, a snack.

The next section follows the top of the ridge, crossing the gallops on the downs. It is pretty exposed, but later descends towards the A46 near the Ogbournes, and crosses the A46 at the hamlet of Southend where there is a layby in front of some cottages.

DAY 1 Aid Station 2. 15km. Arrive c 11.20, Depart c 11.40.

I will need: re-charge drink bottle. A hot drink (soup), snack.


The route then immediately climbs up again and is fairly undulating, crossing the M4 east of Swindon, just south of the hamlet of Foxhill. The aid station will be at the cross roads there.

DAY 1 Aid Station 3. 23 km. Arrive c 12.50, depart 13.00

Will need: coffee or tea; recharge drink bottle; snack.



The longest leg - but only 11 km, I have left for the last, as if all the timings slip, I should need no more support after this. But anyone is welcome to await me at the finish which is up the hill from the village of Kingston Lisle, where my car will be parked with a change of clothes and a hot drink.
I would hope to be there within an hour and a half maximum from Foxhill, unless the weather is really bad.

DAY 1, Finish. 34 km arrive 14.30 latest.


























Evolved to run. Born to run. Older, greyer, still running.

1 comment:

Trevor White said...

Brings back memories from a bygone running age when all we had to look forward to at the end of a stage was a flask of coffee and a fig roll! I cant be with you on the 6th as I will be in Switzerland but will be with you in spirit! Trev