Week's activity from Strava

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

All work and no play....

Probably the slackest month of running since I started this blog!
October 2006 doesn't count really - the circumstances were a bit different and although I was itching to get out, divorce may have followed.
And it all started so well - I signed up for the Motavation 4 mile summer series with Kidlington Road Runners and on a clear thursday evening in early May I headed off for Charlton-on-Otmoor.
I'd not raced anything this "sharp" for years and years, and with absolutely no speed training for ages and even no hill/strength ork since early Feb, I could have no real expectations of a decent time.
The race field was made up of around 400 or so local club runners, mostly competing in the keenly fought local clubs competition spread over the 5 monthly events, so I knew a "fun run" type high placing was out of the question. I love these low key club events and this one reminded me of a southern-softie version of the Ravenstonedale 10k that I ran oop north in November with James.
One big figure 8 round a sleepy Oxfordshire "moorland" village is remarkably dissimilar to one big figure 8 in the Howgill Fells, though, and this one was virtually dead flat. Surprisingly I felt fairly sharp on the night and managed to dip under 30 minutes for the 4.1 mile course. Even better the lovely missus had brought me to the race and the evening ended with pub fish 'n' chips and a couple of pints. I resolved to try to do better at the June event in Bletchingdon, but as this date approaches, I have to confess to only having run three times since.
I have to confess that this month's work demands have got on top of me. Towing a mobile coffee bar around the country to outdoor events has been supplemented by a joint venture in superior outdoor food from the Hambleden Estate and the combined demands of the two this month have sapped my desire to get out on the roads. Three big weekends on the trot have made me a little cautious.
Last night I went for a nice easy one hour run around the village and across the fields and in the glorious late spring sunshine, I realised I had been a bit daft. I miss my running and it has a way of de-clogging the body after a period of intense work. Ok - so I can't run on "show days" but I can on every other day - so get to it! Even if it's only for 30 minutes.
I joined a club finally at the start of this month, UKNETRUNNER, the country's virtual running club which numbers around 60 members and is affiliated to the Midlands AAA. I now have a club vest to compete in - a little small maybe but we'll see what can be done about that!

No comments: