Week's activity from Strava

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Injuries, Niggles and things to ignore

Ooh - that didn't feel right.
What is that twinge?
Is that just stiffnesss?
Why did that happen?
Ow - I'd better slowdown.
Is it my shoes?
Did I stretch enough / too much?


One of the most difficult things about returning to running is that you begin to remember the aches and pains. No not that constant discomfort emanating somewhere in the brain that tries to tell you to "Stop running, you're damaging me!". I mean the "mechanical" problems associated with trying to train an unwilling body into pounding out the miles without complaint.

It also gets worse as you get older, but thankfully you are better equipped with the mental skills to deal with it all.

Since re-starting a proper training regime I have had to deal with the following. My worst fears are in the brackets:


1. Pretty constant stiff calf muscles (Compartment syndrome - total rest).

2. Soreness in my decrepit, much abused left ankle joint (I know I need orthotics).

3. A sore right hip (Onset of arthritis. Hip Bursa forming?)

4. Sore left knee (First attack of runner's knee)

5. A sore left thigh muscle (Mystery injury?)


Most of these were worse on getting up the next morning and at the time of writing this I am on number 5 and wondering if I should run today. I want to but worry slightly at the onset of soreness in an area I have never had problems with before. Did I over-stretch before my steady five miler last night?


Sorting the wheat of a proper injury from the chaff of these aches and pains is a bit like trying to evesdrop on a conversation across a crowded tube carriage. Too much background noise?

So how to know when to back off...I never met a runner who said he had the balance between copping out on training and running through minor injuries cracked! It's all a bit trial and error, and almost impossible to judge if you are a beginner with no memory of when these "niggles" just disappeared at some point during a run.

I just do my usual - back off for a day or two (more doesn't do any good without treatment if it is a real injury), take some anti-inflammatory pills after the run, keep well hydrated.

This time in my marathon training I've also decided to give my aging joints a bit of help. In my training for th 1998 London I took daily Glucosamine Sulphate tablets and I've just started this again, with the addition of some Omega 3 Fish Oil tabs. Hopefully together they will help in re-building and strengthening tissue in the joints. We'll see.


One thing last night's onset of thigh soreness did tell me though. I was flirting with the idea of running a local 5k race tonight and I think this has just been shelved - a shame really, but I know then I would probably return with a "proper" injury.

No comments: