Week's activity from Strava

Friday, May 05, 2006

What's the plan, Charlie?

So....I am already running and, I think, my overall fitness is fairly good, but I don't want to take the start gun in a marathon if it means being out on the roads for more than 4 hours. Goodness knows, if I had kept to my running in the late eighties and nineties, I should have been able to get close to the elusive 3 hours. So more than 4 won't do!
This means that my training will have to incorporate sessions to bring back some speed to my legs, 20 years after I first found it. I'll also have to run a half marathon in 1.45 or less as a confidence booster. This is going to be hard as I probably have to work every weekend from now to the weekend before Lausanne
I used to enjoy reading about running and trawl the web regularly even now for hints on training and schedules. My problem for the last 20 years has been keeping up a regular mileage, not knowing how to plan my training. I've embarked on a few plans only to fall off the plan after a few weeks and then have to give it up due to injury, other committments or my own lack of self motivation.
This time I've decided on the Hal Higdon 18 week intermediate schedule - that would start around the third week of June. I think I'll call that H week.
The plan is then to get to around 30 miles a week with a 10-12 mile long run and a sub 9 minute mile tempo run by then.
So now it is near the end of H week minus 7!

No comments: