Week's activity from Strava

Tuesday, October 02, 2012

2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 - where did they go?

It's been a while.....
In short I "lapsed".
Not writing an entry in a running blog from May 2007 to October 2012 may suggest that the running stopped.
It sort of did really, as I allowed advancing years nudge me into a decision that many "sporty" men take in their late fifties - I took up GOLF.
I still ran on holidays, the occasional sunny day and when I thought I would "have another go", but from about January 2008 to the summer of 2011, running very much became something I did occasionally. In 2009 and 2010, I seriously got the golf bug, and convinced myself that this was the new way I could keep in shape. Mug!
By September 2011, my weight had reached about 96 kg, with a BMI nudging 30 - borderline OBESE.
But I was still pretty fit wasn't I? OK my waistline had ballooned to a stretchy 37 inches or so, but my job kept me active........

The wake up call finally had to arrive.

Anyway, enough of that - I recovered my sanity and have been "back" since September 2011.
Inspired by a friend, Nick Chubb, who decided to run the London Marathon in 2012, I started running "properly" again and spurred on by a wake-up call at the local "Well Man" clinic, I changed my diet and began to lose weight pretty quickly in late 2011.

I pledged to run the 2012 London Marathon for the Spinal Research charity and told all my intended sponsors that I would run 2012 miles in 2012.



It's been a pretty amazing year so far - I ran London (in 4:12:31), have run over 1500 miles so far and have currently raised about £13,000 for the charity. I have also volunteered at the London Paralympic Games and entered the courses that start the final 120 points (a "year") of my BSc in "Open" Science at the Open University.

I have decided to start blogging again as the running challenges I have set for this autumn will push me to things I have never done before, and I feel like sharing my experiences again.

My first Ultra, two U.S. marathons and a presidential election in a week, and a 4 day assault on the Ridgeway National Trail in winter beckon.

But my next post may be about shoes - all runner / bloggers do that, so I don't want to left out as I have lots of shoes to talk about, and anyway, now I am nearly a scientist I have an "informed opinion" that is "evidence based".

My Ultra is this coming weekend, in Nottinghamshire and I believe (and hope) that I am ready.

No comments: