Week's activity from Strava

Friday, October 05, 2012

Where I run no. 4 - Bernwood Forest & Claydon House

As they say "the next in an occasional series" - the last was 5 and a half years ago when I lived 15 miles south of where I do now.

I live in the North Buckinghamshire village of Granborough and there are plenty of quiet (and less quiet) country lanes to run on straight out of the door. Granborough is literally "green hill" in Anglo-Saxon, so every home run finishes with a bit of panting.

Getting offroad involves either a "road start" or a short car journey.

On wednesday I was only due for 5 - 6 miles as the 50k is looming sunday, so I nipped up the hill to Botolph Claydon and ran a 9k circuit on the Bernwood Jubilee Way and across Claydon House grounds .

So here's my short run on a "partly cloudy" October day.

 The track up to Runts Wood from the Botolph Claydon / Calvert Road. Parking here.


 Views of Quainton Hill off to the left as the track climbs steadily and gently.

 Which way? That way.

 I must find out who or what "Runt" was to have these woods named after them.

 There is a path down there. Its been a good summer for "overgrown" around here. One of my favourite routes became an ordeal of nettles and thistles when a lazy farmer refused to clear a gateway for 2 months making the footpath unpassable, and his sheep as a result got a quieter life. I am not a "right to roam" zealot be any means, but leaving footpath gateways blocked and ploughing over tracks do make you feel slightly miffed in the middle of a long link between easier sections. As a result I never feel the slightest guilt about a bit of "hashing" away from the marked paths. A little bit of maintenance and consideration, chaps, and we wouldn't do it!


 A funny moment when I quietly skirted mum and daughter. Cows make me nervous, and when I did eventually look left, Dad was there quietly grazing! I sprinted then, hoping I might be invisible, hence no photo..

 Through the woods and out into a long tree lined farm road back up to the road. 5 km done - just in rhythm.
 Plenty of choice!

 Claydon House, the country house of the Verney family since 1620.
This makes a nice loop through the estate either across the fields or on the roadway.



 Leaving the estate grounds on my way back to the Botolph Claydon road.


9 km done. Easy as you like.

Evolved to run. Born to run. Older, greyer, still running. 


No comments: