Week's activity from Strava

Friday, October 12, 2012

The Ridgeway BAM - update

I am definitely back in "training" since the Nottingham Ultra (in quotes because I don't consider it training - just running). In fact I've run every day since, with diminishing after effects
It does just show that post-run fatigue is partly mental - my recipe is normally eat well, rotate the shoes and put my feet up when not running. It seems to be working so far as I managed a pretty steady road 17k yesterday in the rain - bliss.

I do have to admit to having some trepidations during the ultra about my ridgeway challenge. When I was at the 35k mark more or less and cruising along quite nicely, it did suddenly hit me that I had to manage this distance every day, for four days, on harder terrain and inevitably with worse weather.

I'll go slower - and eat more. I'll have company. It'll be fine....

I have to thank the "early adopters" who quickly put their names forward to run part of the way with me - Amy, Jo, Abi, Mary (actually it is beginning to look quite glamorous) and my old mucker from the Ridgeway multi-stage run many years ago, Trevor White, to balance that out. Trev's knee is pretty knackered these days and although he keeps his running going and just completed the Great North Run again (he's a Geordie), Trev has committed to run alongside for the last 10 miles. We could be quite a crowd by then - don't wait for me, I'll get to Ivinghoe Beacon eventually.

I'm working at my last event of the season this coming weekend, at Larkhill on Salisbury Plain and it promises to be freezing cold as it often is, but a great chance to see close friends for the last time this year. Time to pack away all that is "coffeeman" for 2012. It is just fantastic that this week saw me pass the £13,000 mark in total donations for Spinal Research, most of this raised across the counter of my coffee trailer. Thankyou, all of you, your generosity is amazing and (that bloody word again) inspiring. And there's plenty more to come from those foolish people who agreed to sponsor me per mile for the 2012 miles in 2012. Well the good (or bad) news is I now have less than 400 miles to go and the 2 marathons and the ridgeway will account for over a third of that - cheques to Spinal Research, you can start writing! My £15,000 target does now look possible.

So, as well as some celebration cake, I am taking this little flyer to Larkhill to distribute to my friends and maybe snag some more participants..


Sorry about the spell check underlining!

Now time for an hour out on the roads before I hitch up the wagon. The sun's out!

Evolved to run. Born to run. Older, greyer, still running.

No comments: