Week's activity from Strava

Thursday, October 04, 2012

The Ridgeway BAM - my craziest idea yet.

By now, everyone must surely know the story of Claire Lomas the amazing young lady who refuses to admit paralysis from catastrophic spinal cord injury means a "lesser life".

As Claire and I are both connected in different ways to the sport of Eventing and we were raising funds for the same charity this year, we met up before the London marathon in April and I decided to help her get to the end of her marathon challenge in "Fred, her bionic "exo-skeleton" legs.







At a low point (it rained for days on end and the first 10 miles is very dull) early in the 17 days that it took, I foolishly said to Claire that I would add another running challenge to my list in 2012 if she finished, to which she answered "Ok then, but I will choose it" and then started to mumble about channel swims, round Britain bikerides and suchlike. A couple of days later I came up with the stupid idea of running the Ridgeway National Trail over 4 days in winter, and I think this appeased Claire, so I wrote it down on my fundraising signs on the coffee trailer.



Well the time is fast approaching when I now have to do something about this, so here in brief is what is planned:

- I will split the 135 km or so into 4 "bitesize" chunks and will run/walk one of these per day from 6th to 9th December inclusive. The direction will be west to east, finishing with a party at Ivinghoe Beacon at around teatime on sunday December 9th 2012. Claire has promised that if I cover the 135 km, she will get to the top of that hill to welcome me home (probably with a few less cameras than she had at the end of her marathon!)



And I can't guarantee celebs parachuting in either!






- Anyone is invited to come along and join in, at any point, and over any distance, using any legal mode of transport on that part of the Ridgeway to accompany me. Hence the Ridgeway BAM - By Any Means. Details of the exact daily arrangements will appear on this blog over the next few weeks

- All I ask is that those joining in make a donation to my nominated charity, which will be a small charity funding spinal injury repair research. Here is their donations page. If we get enough to come we may also get a commemorative tee shirt printed.

There'll be more, much more on this in the weeks to come - but I have bought some shoes for it!


4 comments:

lulu kyriacou said...

Nutter. You can get some of the horsey types to ride along with you for a bit maybe. Messers Powell and Todd are within minutes hacking distance of the Ridgeway for example.

jo thoenes said...

I'll join you! Couldn't make the marathon eventually due to work, but would love to do a bite size (or even sip size!) leg with you on this x

Charles Massey said...

Jo. You are on. Will post some detailes nearer the time. But as you can see the route goes pretty near to Didcot on the friday - or you can join the "crowd" on saturday as we head towards the Chilterns. Love to add a bit of glamour!

Mary Jacob said...

I would like to join you for the Saturday and or Sunday legs of this run. Need to discuss logistics in due course...